Wednesday, June 22, 2011

. . .In A Box

You know what they say: With age comes wisdom. . . 


and then again, they say: Great things come in small packages. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I guess you could say both of these statements are very true. 


Just last night my mom and I were talking about my dad. Mary Elizabeth was there and she noticed just how very  sad  " the best Nana ever" was getting while the best Nana talked about her beloved husband. 

In a very wise and mature voice Lizzy said: " Nana, you don't have to miss Grandpa. He lives in your heart."    

~ "See, I'll show you."~ 

Because our wisest and littlest one didn't know how to draw a heart, Elizabeth asked "the best Nana ever" to draw a heart for her. 

So Nana drew the heart and Liz goes on to say in her wisest voice. . .

"See, just like this Nana." "He's little, tiny." "In your heart." and Liz drew a little, tiny man. . . in Nana's heart. 

Liz then says. . ."Oh! but, In a box." 


and then she lovingly drew a box around her grandpa. . . in Nana's heart.  

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

You see, the last time Mary Elizabeth saw her grandpa it was at his funeral. She had just turned three years old.  She knows her grandpa has died and has gone to heaven "to be with the Saints and Angles".  We tell her this all the time. 


What she can't figure out is  ~ why in the world he has gone to this place called heaven. . . and. . .Why?. . .  In a box of all things.  


and the house broke out into laughter and the Best Nana Ever said. . . 

"Boy! Would Grandpa love that." 


Playing along with:  


Give me your best shot at Better in BulkPhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli


11 comments:

  1. She's so sweet. bless her little heart! Z says the same thing of her grandpa (my FIL) who passed away last summer. She kept asking why he was "in a box."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. So, so incredibly sweet. Thank you for sharing Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how kids can change a moment with their innocence and love...

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this. i just read through your email & had to come leave a comment here too. children are so perfect, sometimes. they say just the right things without even knowing it. <3 this beautiful story made me cry both times i read it. (hugs) to you!

    p.s. i had a black lab growing up, then a chocolate one. :) aren't they the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is the sweetest ever.
    this made my morning just a little brighter.
    Beautiful
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my sweetness! Seriously Lisa, this post touched me so...I lost my Dad last November & have had similar moments with my children...If only we could all live through the eyes of a child. xoxo

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. aawww. she is adorable - I am sure her Grandpa loves that. I know my Dad would. I love the things your (and my) littlest says. out of the mouths of babes.

    xo ellie

    ReplyDelete
  8. As your Mom has said, she's a special one. Am thinking she has a little of each of the older three in her... sometimes I catch a glimpse of the intellectucal Mat, others sweet-spirited Stephen, and of course fire-cracker Kat Kat! How truly blessed you are... :)
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I will do my best to visit you back!

Have a great day!