Saturday, October 3, 2009

This is my Father......How can this be?

Bill Finnell Simpsonville, SC

Bill  Finnell

William F. Finnell, Sr., born February 17, 1933 in Randolph, MA, died peacefully in his home September 30, 2009 surrounded by his devoted family.

Bill was a loving and faithful husband to Grace Coleman Finnell for 56 years, father to Karen F. Lopez, William F. Jr., George D. Finnell, Margaret F. Hoverath and Lisa F. Advent, father-in-law to Linda, Bernard, Riener and Mark.

He was also the loving grandfather to sixteen grandchildren, Joseph, William and Kristen Lopez; William III and Rebecca Finnell; George Finnell, Jr.; Stephanie F. Peterson, Bailey and Eva Finnell, James Byerly, Alexander and Brian Hoverath, Mathew, Stephen, Kathryn and Mary Elizabeth Advent; two step grandchildren Scott Templeton and Michelle Upchurch; two great grandchildren, Anthony Lopez and Aubrey Peterson; and seven step great grandchildren, Breanna, Emma, Walker Templeton; Kristian, Katie, Karmen and Keleb Upchurch.

Also surviving are his three brothers, Joseph; Robert; and James Finnell; two sisters, Jean Hoffman, and Joan Savia; and devoted sister-in-law, Mary Foley Cooney.

Bill attended Wentworth Institute in Boston, MA and was a US Veteran. He was a Designer for Bendix Engineering with Cape Kennedy Space Center, Florida where he was part of the Gemini and Apollo programs. He was also employed with General Electric.

Bill designed and was a visionary for Coachwood Acres, Coachwood Forest and Powderhorn subdivisions in Simpsonville and the Golden Strip area.

His legacy and dreams will live on his family.

The Mass of Christian Burial will be held Saturday, October 3, 2009 at 10am at St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church, with Father Robert Falabella officiating.

The family will receive friends Friday, October 2, 2009 from 7 – 9pm at The Mackey Mortuary, 311 Century Drive.

Obituaries and online registry at http://www.mackeymortuary.com/

This is my father.....How can this be?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Lisa....I'm here. I'm sending hugs. I'm praying. I'm loving you. And I'm so much more than sorry. I weep. ~Janine XOSO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very very sorry to read this heartbreaking and sad news.

    Please know you and your family will be in my prayers.

    Hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lisa,

    You probably don't remember me but I remember you and your sister Margaret and of course your parents. I remember your visits to Aunt ML's house in Maynard when we were all children.

    I am so sorry for the loss of your father Bill whom I know was loved by so many - including my own parents, Ann and Dick. I know how much your Aunt and Cousin Jen loved him and spoke so highly of him.

    Having lost my own father this year - I know how you are feeling and how the thought of reading your own fathers obituary is just mind blowing - I still do the same thing and think am I dreaming? This can't be real can it?

    I have no words of wisdom or great quotes for you to mourn with - but I can tell you that your father will always be with you where ever you are and whatever you do - he is by your side every step of the way. I live each day trying to be thankful for the many great years I had with my Dad. I try to think how lucky we were to have had him in our lives for the years that we did. Being thankful gets me through the grief when I feel so sad that I can't pick up the phone and talk to him or visit with him and watch the Redsox game.

    Your father will always be with you - remember that every day and remember how much he loved you all and what a great life he gave you all. How lucky you all are to have had such a wonderful father.

    I am thinking of you and all of your family at this difficult time and wishing you all strength and peace.

    Bridget Lombardi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Lisa,
    I am very sorry for your loss.
    May you be comforted by all the loving memories you had with your father.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so, so sorry for your loss, Lisa. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart aches for you and your family. I am so, so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know your Dad would have been so proud of all his family and how brave you all are to go on with your heads held high. Your children made such a wonderful statement of your faith on the altar. You Dad was so loved and respected by his family. The care and nurture that you gave to him in his final days, made his passing so much easier. He did not want to leave you and his spirit never will.
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly have no words..."so sorry" and "condolences" just seem to fall flat and do such a cruddy job in conveying my sincere sadness. Although I know my mourning surely looks like a picnic in the park next to yours, just want you to know that we loved Bill and are working through our grief as well. It's been harder than I anticipated. Every time I go to call you intending to offer comfort and support, I get teary-eyed with a lump in my throat like I did at his "viewing"- and know that when you answered the phone all you would hear is a hysterically sobbing woman! The world has lost a most WONDERFUL man in losing Bill. However, our loss is Heaven's gain!!!! My prayers are beside you, my dearest friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious father!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, you have such wonderful friends. They are so honest and poetic, my heart is so heavy, but it cheers me to know that you are with such good and caring people. We will go on as he wanted. I am very proud of you and your family. You should have seen them, composed and wonderful at the service. Just what Father would have loved. Bridget said it all, the loss is greater than any one expects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa ~
    Your father was one in a million, and it warms my heart that you know and appreciate just how special he was.

    I last saw him at the family picnic in Massachusetts about four years ago. I hugged him and told him that he was my first crush. He thought that was a riot! I thought he was Mr. Wonderful when I was eight-years-old!! I was young to have such good taste!

    He was a soft-spoken powerhouse who made a lasting, positive impression even on those of us who weren't lucky enough to spend a lot of time with him.

    These are the difficult days for you and your mother, brothers and sisters. But I can tell you from experience that each day gets a tiny bit easier than the one before.

    I always found comfort in knowing my Dad (and Mum) were only as far away as my heart.

    Just listen...you will hear him.

    Lots of Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love and sympathy.
    Grief is also a somewhat lonely experience. Everyone is different.

    My Mother died first and my Dad was so devastated we children spent the usual early grieving experience just getting Dad through it. My grieving did not finalize until nearly two years later when I unexcpectedly was helping with a man with similar symptoms andidagnosis. When Dad died at 93 we were more prepared.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I will do my best to visit you back!

Have a great day!