Monday, August 8, 2011

A Lesson in Friendship

It seems strange to me I'm just getting around to posting again after letting another two weeks go by.  Things are settling down around here but, I guess sometimes things like these just take a while. 

So the short story today is: I heart faces is holding another photo contest. The theme for this contest is Friendship.  As we all know, friendship comes in all sizes, shapes and colors. You just never know where you'll find it. 




 When I think of friendship, I can't help but think of Tommy. He's the hippy on the right. The man with the bandanna around his head, holding the red cup.  Tommy is my brother George's friend.  He has been around for. . . well. . .I guess, forever. The other guy in this photo, holding the yellow cup, is my brother George's son. . .Little, Bigger George, as I loving call him. 


 The  one thing I always think of when I see Tommy is how genuine he is. What you see is what you get: a true, loyal friend. 

 I will never forget the action Tommy took when our father died. He cut his hair, shaved, bought himself a suit, arrived at the mortuary early, before any of us got there and waited outside for his friend George.  

Tommy told me that night. . . when I saw him standing there waiting: "I don't want anyone of you walking in there alone tonight. Your father was better to me then my own father and I will always be grateful for that."  In his kindness, Tommy offered to walk in with me because, Mark had gone to be with my mother. I told Tommy I would be okay, I had my kids with me and then I remember Tommy saying; "I'm just going to wait right here for George. . . so I don't miss him and he doesn't have to walk in alone. " and my heart filled with love that night. . . and I'll never forget the lesson in friendship a man named Tommy taught me without even trying the night of October 2, 2009.   


10 comments:

  1. Lisa, that's a very touching story!! He sounds more than a friend, an angel in disguise??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommy sounds like a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very, very good man.
    Excellent.
    This made me cry.
    So thankful you have someone like that in your life Lisa. So very, very thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, Beautiful post. I can feel your heart. Glad your posting again. I have missed reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a touching story. There is nothing better than a true friend.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This brought tears to my eyes Lisa! What a gift to have a true, loyal friend like Tommy. A precious gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a blessing they have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it amazing when someone like Tommy comes along and says something that knocks your socks off. I am so glad you told us what a good friend Toom is. You cannot tell a book by the cover.
    We all should have a friend like Tommy.
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I will do my best to visit you back!

Have a great day!