Monday, June 8, 2009

Where's the Chocolate??

It has taken me a long time to accept ~ I have to run to get back into shape..........because let's face it......the way the economy is going for "us" ((the nation as a whole)) it will be a long time before I can play Karate again. The acceptance of just liking to run has been hard for me...........actually I hate running. I would much rather go to a really hard and long sparing class.............I remember many Saturday mornings walking of the mat bleeding, hurt and in pain....and someone would say Wow! That was a great class........ Everyone would nod their heads in agreement and say "YAY!!" I have been trying to run for quite a long time now......maybe 2 1/2 years ...... and my resistance to running has taken it's toil on me. However, I have decided...... I have to like it...........almost as much as I like chocolate. Okay....... Not that much.

But, I love to have Ice Cream for dinner. AND If I am going to have Ice Cream for dinner, I have to exercise. Right now that exercise has to be running. So, I have been trying..........I have been drinking my water and eating right........Well, most of the time. I am trying to take care of myself for many reasons...........The biggest is my father, who has cancer and has survived much longer then the doctors ever imagined he would..........One of the things he contributes his survival to is exercise..........He has always and still does exercise even on his sick days. AND CANCER STINKS!! IT REALLY DOES! Over the past three years, I have struggled with these big issues; I am not as physically fit as I was BFME........that is......BeFore Mary Elizabeth. It has taken me a long time to accept.........I have a long way to go from pre-baby........to post-baby............even though she will be 3 next month.

And SO, I have struggled!

I think I am getting there. I think I have convinced myself..........It is okay to be where I am and I am learning to like "the" running and not pout about it "all" so much.

So here I am............With my "I love exercise Finnell Grin"

.........We have a secret........"We" the Finnell's and the Advent's are far from being athletes.....all we do is......"TRY". We pick a sport we like or in my case right now....... can tolerate and learn to like it. Then, we give it our all. We are not fast............We persevere.......We work through the humiliation of always being last. We work through the pain of what ever it is that hurts and we just 'do it'. We put our hearts into it and get the job done. And We do it with a Grin..........My sister and I have named it "That Finnell Grin"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So anyway, I have been getting up really early........I mean really early and getting out there. The sun comes up at six. I have my shoes on. I am ready to go with my phone and my daughter’s I-pod............ I am excited about seeing how long the miles will take me and what my plan of action is for the day..............I am trying to increase my mileage and cut down on my time. It is fun right?????? That was until Monday morning..........I was going by my neighbors house........I should tell you, he has JUST started running again after 1o, 12 maybe he said 15 years........ I forget...........the most important thing here.......... IS............ HE! SMOKES!! He smokes!..............He just started running and he smokes........ Okay ya........Good for him, right?? ~ Maybe he will cut down on his smoking and all that great stuff. He will be healthy AND we all have to start some where. RIGHT?? It was about 7:00 am........and I had been running for about an hour. He sees me and says, "Why don't you run with me to the top of the hill?.......It is only a mile. I am just trying to run a mile." Being the nice, caring, encouraging person that I am ~ I said, "Okay" I have 10 more minutes........I can do that. He says, "Let's go!" He takes off.................He "smokes" me..............He "smokes" me!! I am way behind........huffing and puffing and starting to cough like the smoker HE IS..........my asthma is starting to kick in........... I can't breath..........I can't stop coughing. I can only say.........THANK GOD! My phone rang and it was a customer........I had to stop to answer my cell phone........out of breath..........I got to tell this guy.........."I am running and that is why I am sooooo out of breath and please forgive me.........could you please call my husbands phone and he will be able to help you." .............. I didn't tell this guy.........I was losing badly to my neighbor who just started running like 2 days ago and by the way he smokes............. BUT! there is good news "he" can run a 9...........I said a 9 minute mile............and he smokes.........and he just started running again.......He has gone from doing nothing........NOTHING!! to running a 10 minute mile....now down to a 9.......and he beat me...... bad!! Stupid Rick!! Where's the chocolate??? Oh! The good news..............Today .........He has shaved 12 seconds of his time..............Stupid Rick!

10 comments:

  1. I admire you for running! I walk briskly with Gunny daily, but as for running - not unless something is chasing me!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous14 June, 2009

    This is too funny! "Stupid Rick!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Cancer stinks

    fun post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa you’ve make laugh. I don’t like running, I don’t like chocolate!
    So let’s keep walking.
    Have a wonderful week
    Now and Then

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOl..great post.
    Hey..dont' feel bad..my last natural baby is 15..and I never got back to my pre baby weight with him..
    I too am determined to get back into some other shape than round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am literally laughing my butt off!!! I do believe we can call you a bona-fide storyteller now- your writing is improving by leaps and bounds!!! And I have to tell you, have always thought you have the heart of a lion. As "T" told you about karate: you might not have all the finesse and precision some others might have, but you more than make up for it with your perseverance, determination and HEART!!! ROAR!!!!!! :):) Love you!!!

    P.S. Yes...although he is my husband: STUPID RICK!!!! And I mean that after trying to run a few times during my morning walk and making it MAYBE .2 miles before having to revert back to walking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous15 June, 2009

    I think I know how to break my 9 minute mile:

    1. Eat some mini chocolate donughts.
    2. Smoke some unfiltered cigs.
    3. Couple of cups of coffee (with some Irish Wiskey).

    Let me know if I need to add anyting else.
    Signed,
    The SMOKIN STUPID RICK :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Up at six to RUN???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now - I want you to go find a bar and tell me if you can flip over to the top. That's the newest challenge on my blog and I'll bet you can do it.

    Not so sure about Rick though... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahaha, Stupid Rick! I agree!!

    Hey, speaking of dessert, and chocolate, my grandpa always use to say, "always have desert first, that way you always have room". :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I will do my best to visit you back!

Have a great day!